15/05/2008

Warlord Romans

I was distracted by the Free Roman figure from Warlord games enclosed with WI last month and decided to try painting it up (left), subsequently I was passed another and painted it as well. They are nice well proportioned figures, slightly smaller than some metals, but quite close to the size of my Rospak Romans (rear figure) that I bought over 20 years ago

The figures show a dramatic improvement in the quality of sculpting/manufacturing since the originals and the biggest difference comes from the separately cast head and the decently proportioned pila.

If I hadn't got an existing Roman army then I would be very tempted by these figures.

Will

3 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Nice job on the Roman - I've got mine sitting on the side of the painting table as well.. I'm not really a one for painting for the pleasure of it (I like to see units at the end of the toil!) but I may have a go...

Giles said...

Yes, those don't look bad at all; in fact they are really quite good sculpts. I did read elsewhere that they are a difficult match for existing metal ranges, but then I suppose that's not the point.

Haven't painted my freebie yet, either....

Magpie said...

I have a box full of these waiting for me to knuckle down and get them done. Yours are great. Thanks for the inspiration.