27/11/2009

Aztecs finished - at last

I thought this would be a simple task, painting another 48 Revell Aztecs and then rebasing them along with most of my existing figures for the DBA-New World rule variant.

Now for the army, in general I mixed up the old and new figures, I'm not sure why some of the flesh colour is so different, but it is on my earliest figures, so they would have been painted around 20 years ago. This has been a "good learning experience" and has convinced me that rebasing to my current standard is not as simple as I thought. The first problem was the old paint plus scatter was quite firmly fixed, so I decided that I could easily paint over it - wrong - it doesn't adsorb well, so I needed to dilute PVA it first. Second, it was a much darker shade than my desert base coat (Wilko Coffee) so greater precision was needed in repainting. Finally even after painting the colour/texture difference is still obvious close up.
The army drawn up

Front rank - sling armed skirmishers
2nd rank - Military orders Eagle/Jaguar warriors
3rd rank centre - Military orders - mixed veterans
3rd rank flanks - mercenary archers
4th-6th ranks - Macehualtin clan warriors (I have mixed in some archers and slingers to make up the numbers)


Close up of the Military orders
Apologies for the quality of the pictures, the daylights not very bright at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you've made good use of the Aztecs - nice paint job.