20/03/2007

WW2 Aircraft stands

Several people have asked me about the stands I use for my 1/72 aircraft. The basic stand has a car aerial mounted on a circular base (hardboard but a CD would probably be just as good).

The two shown at the back are for desert type games and the one at the front for temperate zones. The aerial is topped with a 5mm bolt for fixing the aircraft, helicopters, etc. The nut can be clearly seen on the underside of the Me109 positioned at the centre of gravity. The bolt is glued to the aerial with epoxy.

Here are a couple of aircraft in action at different levels showing how the bolt screws into the nut glued to the plane

The one base type I've still to make is for the sea, in this case I'll probably hide the fixing with a large splash made with acylic mastic.

The only downside of this approach is that it interferes with any central bomb load.

Will

No comments: