We fought for 5 hours (12 moves) but didn't reach a final decision, but it was hardly likely that the German s would reach their objectives as their losses were being to mount and all the Russian reinforcements had arrived.
The real problem was the slow movement rates.roads and cross country rates and cross country half of that. As a result the Germans had only reached the top of the ridge. The high point of the game for me (as a Russian) was taking out one of the Tiger IIs with a mine and then managing to finish it off with a lucky shot from a Sherman 76mm.
I was short of MMGs but I just added in some WW1 MMGs so they should not be too noticeable. There was one extra 82mm mortar needed so I use a left over figure from the Italeri's Russian winter infantry. The big gap was 120mm mortars and for this I used the ones from the Pegasus Mortar set (I had bought an extra set just in case). The crews are a mix of Airfix and head swapped WW1 Russian Heavy Weapons figures. I also used these for some extra brigade commanders that I was missing. The radio operators had their caps cut down to side caps as well.
Till then, I'll be playing Operation Sonnewende using Rapid Fire rules.
The figures are from the Waterloo 1815 Anglo-Egyptian army set as it's the only one providing fez's. The mortar and MG crews are head swaps onto some WW1 Ottomans. Given a shortage of French MGs I've equipped them with a WW1 German Maxim.
I see see several early war amphibious actions on the way, including Safi from the original Rapid Fire rules.
I've created four infantry companies, the same number of MGs and a couple of Artillery guns
I kept one of the German advisors just for fun, seen above explaining to the Turkish commander how to read a map
The guns are above, the colour looked OK to start, but they came out slightly greener than I would have liked. They are now a bit to similar to my Russian guns
A nice quick "army" to produce and a good start to reducing the pile of purchases
1 x Anglo-Egyptian Army
1 x Maya Warriors
1 x Turkish Infantry (World War I)
3 x Ukrainian Foot Cossacks & Artillery
2 x Reitars Of Charles XII (Great Northern War)
1 x Russian Artillery Of Peter I
1 x Swedish Artillery Of Charles XII
2 x Lieb-Drabants Of Charles XII
6 x Parthian Light Cavalry
3 x Parthian Heavy Cavalry
1 x Turkish Janissaries
3 x Russian Infantry Of Peter The Great
What are they all for?
The Parthians were on offer and they will be used to build a WRG 6th Parthian army
The various Great Northern war stuff will start my move into the League of Augsburg/War of Spanish Secession period.
The Janissaries, plus another pack will be used for the LOA/WSS and also for the French in Eygpt 1798 (3)
The Maya will add some variety to my current Meso-American armies
The Waterloo 1815 Anglo Egyptians will be used for French Senegalese infantry (2)
The foot cossacks and artillery are to go with/against my renaissance Poles and the artillery can also be used against the French in Egypt
The Ottoman infantry are to go with the Ottoman artillery and be used for RCW/Back of beyond games. (1)
(1-3) will be the first areas I will focus on.
More completed, this time more Lobsters for my TYW Imperialist army. The army as a whole is made up of Revell TYW plastics, but I have never had enough lobsters. I found some 20mm ones available from Tumbling dice, so I bought a pack of the mounted figures to add to the plastic horses. Typically the pack was of 11 when I wanted 12 and also I discovered that the figures were significantly larger than the Revell ones so I couldn't mix them in one unit.
My solution was to use a overlarge figure from the artillery crew and convert him to a cavalry figure
The back two were already completed and based. Although I dislike bases these are nicely done and I decided to leave them as is. Two of other three were already assembled with a single coat of paint and the other was bought as a kit. The kit was a problem as someone had already started and had misassembled the front components of it, it took some time to carefully pare the parts apart. These three were then painted and decaled identically.
This means my US units now have sufficient transport. (As if this is ever true!)
I had to strip the existing paintwork off of both these down and then repaint them, the 250/9 is definitely 1/76, but the 250/1 is around 1/72. I've got one 250/1 already, but I still need a few more to make up a Rapid Fire Recce Battalion.
For those who know about these things, the tracks on the 250/1 are the wrong way round, one of the penalties for buying off the B&B without checking carefully.
This site includes the rules (also found on Freewargames rules) FAQs and various other bits and pieces created over the years. Also a link to Tony De Lyall's updated version of my computer version of the rules.
Then there are the two 250s that need the paint stripped and repainted.
In the pile of rummage from Roy was a LRDG Chevy that needs repaired and painted, I've enough LRDG so it'll be used as a normal truck unless I think of anything else.
Finally on the vehicle front is the Frontline ambulance jeep.
For figures, I'll work on the TYW lobsters and also some more wagons for the period.