Tidying up the "French" Artillery

So I sat back and tidied up the artillery, my main aims were to remove all the old Airfix gunners and converted guns (Blended Airfix RHA guns and French artillery trails) and to replace all the old Airfix limbers (the originals with the wheels from the guns). In terms of guns it was (from Right to left) 2 x Saxon Foot Artillery; Baden Foot Artillery; Westphalian Foot Artillery (identical to the French except for red collars), Neuchâtel Artillery (Always a nicer alternatie to Young Guard) and 2 x French Foot Artillery.

In reverse. Note I have not bothered with the packs and trimmed back the straps to look sensible.

The first batch of limbers, extreme left Polish Foot Artillery, extreme left Baden Foot Artillery, the other pair are Westphalian.

A second batch, nearest are Imperial Guard Foot Artillery, then Neuchâtel, then a pair of French caissons that I trimmed back to two horse teams, except I did't. I painted two new "limber" teams for the caissons and reused the existing limber teams for the guns.

Of course you realise once you have done this that you need to upgrade the basing on the rest of the artillery!


A blast from the past

While working on my Ox Wagons I also rebased my venerable Jacklex British 4.7 inch Naval gun.

Although I do have the gun crew it has always been used in games as part of a convoy.

More details about the gun on Wikipedia


Reworked Ox wagons

When I worked on the Hat Colonial wagons back in March (link) I complained about the lack of Oxen and that I would reuse my old Atlantic Oxen. I also decided that I would rework a couple of the old wagons, rather than buying any more of the Hat version. So here they are together with some reworked Ox teams.

Here'e the original wagon on the left and the reworked version on the right. The HaT version is behind. Only the wheels and axles were used the rest is scratch-built.


Napoleonic - Pavlov Grenadiers

Got through these relativity quickly once I got going. These are the marching figures from three boxes of Italeri Russian Grenadiers, which are the only ones that would fit on my Napoleonic Infantry base sizes.


Britcon 2019

Hurrah, my operation was on Monday and after three nights I was released from hospital. So after catching up on much needed sleep my trip to Britcon was on. There isn't much eye-candy but it was a nice to get away.

Obviously I was involved in the Lance & Longbow game, the battle of Clifton a what if set in the Roses period.

The only other game was the Thirty Years War battle of Brietenfeld organised by MAWS

I was quite taken by the tessellating tiles from Sarissa, especially the way they had been used for a coastline

The limited booty, mostly from the B&B. I hadn't intended to add any cavalry to my 28mm Spanish forces, but a complete box for a fiver was too tempting.


On the workbench - August 2019

More disruption as I have a prostate operation this month so I've decided to work on what remains from last months list and then do whatever I feel like with any remaining time.

  • Various colonial odds & sods, oxen, etc - started, but nothing done last month
  • Napoleonic Russian Pavlov Grenadiers - a couple of old Italeri battalions again that I seem to have missed. - these are underway
  • Tidy up my Napoleonic French Artillery - I've sorted out what I need to do, basically 6 new gun batteries 4 new limbers, and rework 3 existing limbers.

I'm hoping that my operation doesn't involve to long a stay in hospital/recovering as I'd like to get to Britcon next weekend.


Remaining SYW Hanoverian Infantry

Just in time for the month end I finished the other two Hanoverian units. As before these are the RedBox Jacobite Rebellion British Infantry. AS there were insufficient grenadiers one unit does not have any and a missing standard bearer has been replaced by an old Airfix AWI Grenadier with a head swap.

Regiment 1A von Scheither

Regiment 11A de Cheusses Infantry