09/03/2012

El Djem - a few pictures

Since quite a few people are interested, here are some more pictures of the Colloseum at El Djem (historic Thysdrus)

Looking down at the arena

High up in the cheap seats, there were plenty of stairs so it could be filled/emptied quite quickly.


A view over the arena, showing how high the cheap seats are, amazing to think it could hold 35,000 spectators


The more expensive seating , mainly reconstructed.


Down underneath the arena, where the animals and captive were kept, there were two lifts to take them to the surface.


An explanatory board

3 comments:

SoA Shows North said...

Nice pics, Will

Unknown said...

Have you got a better photo of the explanatory board? I need it for my research of my Architecture degree

Fire at Will said...

I can email you a larger image of the board if you email me at Fire-at-will at live.co.uk.

Will