09/02/2017

WW2 British Artillery rework

While working on the new 25pdrs I decided that there was no point leaving the rest of my British Artillery untouched as it would look out of place compared to the rest of the army. So here are my upgraded 17pdrs and 5.5" howitzers.

The crew for the 5.5" guns are some of the spare 25pdr crews with some large rounds added. The 17pdr crews are those for the 6pdr, but with some Sgts Mess 17pdr rounds added to replace the 6pdr ones.

All the guns needed some repairs, but one 5.5" needed most of one side replaced which involved a new barrel, trunnion and trail, which luckily I had in my bits box.

6 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

Those 5.5 are pretty hefty. That's a very well stocked artillery park.

João Pedro Peixoto said...

Nice units of artillery you have there.

Andy Canham said...

Nice work Will, they look great. PSC crew are streets ahead of the old Airfix figures.

Cheers, Andy

Service Ration Distribution (Hobby) said...

Very smart indeed. Just goes to show the value of a well stocked bits box.

Paul Foster said...

Lovely update!

Tony Maries said...

Fascinating models.
I have started to paint a picture of Okehampton railway station. There were two sidings at the west end of the station which I understand were used by the military. I have a question which maybe someone on here might be able to answer. Would these artillery pieces have been transported by rail on flat wagons, and then towed to the camp by suitable period vehicles. Any help would be very welcome.