01/01/2023

plan for 2023

I'll past another milestone (millstone) this year and typically I was struggling to think of a common theme to focus this years tasks, but I have it now either "Clear the decks" or the "Great tidy-up"

So with this in mind I will:
  1. Rationalise my Terrain, upgrading or replacing any unsuitable items
  2. Retouch/Rebase as many figures as possible.
  3. Attempt to complete all the figures in the stash that have a clear fit with my current plans
  4. Clear out all unwanted items
Amplifying the above:
1. Rationalise my Terrain, upgrading or replacing any unsuitable items:
  • Wooden Fencing needs either upgraded or replaced
  • Hills, I have too many of the wrong sizes
  • Rivers need expanded
  • Wadi/Depression edges need created
2. Rework/Rebase as many figures as possible.
  • Zulu Wars - delayed from last year
  • Dark Ages
  • Russian Civil War
  • possibly Napoleonic British
3. Attempt to complete all the figures in the stash that have a clear fit with my current plans
  • Finish the WSS
  • Scottish schiltron
  • More "Cossack" infantry & cavalry
  • Baggage camels for the Crusades, Sudan, etc.
  • Replace my old Napoleonic French Dragoons
  • Napoleonic Spanish infantry for skirmish games
  • 28mm ECW cavalry
4. Clear out all unwanted items, including painted figures
  • Assess each existing period, army, and units to consider if I am really going to use them
  • Reduce the figure stash from 4 crates to 3
5. 3D Printing - the bulk of my immediate needs have been printed so I am looking at
  • ways to produce matching 20mm figures & smaller equipment to complete my Napoleonic and other armies
  • components for houses and other terrain
  • work on how to make/modify files to meet my specific needs
6. Gaming
  • Play at least one WW2 Sicily game as is is the 80th anniversary this year
  • I would like to try Dresden 1813 as it is the 210th anniversary
  • Attend as many shows as possible

5 comments:

pancerni said...

Dresden is ambitious enough for the year.

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Thats quite a list. From experience Ive found that too many tasks leads to none being completed. Still, best of luck.

Anibal Invictus said...

Very uch on the same line, I turned 60 last May and had a sort of an epiphany: too many periods, too many games, too many unpainted minis. I have been actively selling through ebay and similar platforms as well as giving away for free to some of my club friends. Fully committed since late summer to a net reduction of my lead pile.

Philotep said...

You're probably the busiest wargamer I have heard of. What you achieved in one year is simply stunning, and your plans for 2023 look even more ambitious! You're an example for us all, at least for me.

Fire at Will said...

Thanks for the feedback.

"Independentwargamesgroup" you are correct about the risk of having too many tasks, which is why I like a unifying theme. I also feel that as my major figure suppliers are in the Ukraine I am not likely to get too much temptation placed in my way.

"Anibal Invictus" I'm not sure that passing a milestone will affect my current gaming that much, but I am conscious of having toys that I haven't used for at least 30 years and can't forsee using them again, plus if I did I would probably need to at least repaint or rebase them.