09/04/2011

Morane-Saulnier M.S.406

Not the most exciting aircraft of WW2, but the most common fighter used by the French in 1940, so only having a Dewotine at the moment the M.S. 406 it was an obvious addition to my forces. Not only did I have problems with fitting the pilot (like the LA-7) but the Hobbyboss kit only came with British and Finish decals, so I had to buy some second hand ones. Then the trouble started, the first roundel disintegrated as I tried to position it and part of the second broke up. Therefore I experimented with painting the decals with acrylic varnish first. This gave the decals sufficient strength to position them carefully. Maybe next time I'll give a bit more though to which kits I request for Christmas.

5 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Kudos for continuing with them and producing a fine looking plane.

Tim Gow said...

A great result - especially given the decal difficulties

Ray Rousell said...

Well what ever you did it looks great, so I wouldn't worry!

Red Cardinal said...

The MS406 is a reasonable enough fighter for the period (not as good as the Bf109 but on a par with the Hurricane).

As an aside, did you know the Armee de l'air shot down more Luftwaffe aircraft in 1940 than had aircraft shot down themselves?

Nice stuff, keep up the good work!

kingsleypark said...

Nice looking kit. And interesting info re the French Air Force. We hear so much about the RAF's exploits during the fall of France that you can forget that there were other brave airmen fighting as well