01/12/2020

Renaissance Galleys

They've been a long time coming, but it has been a sequence of stops, starts and odd diversions that didn't work, until I had them close enough to call it a day. First up with Ottoman crews

They take my standard units based on 45mm square bases

A total of 5 bases, one command/crew, three sailors/marines and one gun

The Ottomans can be swapped for European crews

Similar crewing, but not as colourful

I haven't bothered with a rear awning as I haven't worked out how to do it and keep it removable and I'm also not sure whether it would be kept up during combat. If they furl the sails then I would expect the same for the awning.

basic construction is foamcore, with the edges covered by cardboard then planked, the ram is a left over piece of hard plastic, and the oars just matchsticks. The mast and spar are wooden stakes used for supporting small plants, with a kitchen roll sail. Hopefully I can use them with 28mm figures it it every becomes necessary.

5 comments:

Philotep said...

Wonderful galleys!! Thank you for showing them, I will follow your example one of these days to build ships for my Caribbean pirates.

Archduke Piccolo said...

Hi Will -
In my reading list there seems to a growing fashion for naval construction of a whole range of varieties. Your galleys look impressive as well as functional. Great work!
Cheers,
Ion

Phil said...

Superb galleys, wonderful job!

Andrew Bruce said...

Great article, I have shared your post here https://wargames-directory.com/forums/topic/renaissance-galleys/

Feel free to join and share your work

Take care

Andy

João Pedro Peixoto said...

Beautiful and very efective scratch built galleys.